A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse which pages of a site you visit and in which order.
Sites we place advertising on use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Types of cookies used on this site
Cookies used on this site fall into two categories, as defined by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
- Performance cookies
Performance cookies collect information about how you use our website e.g. which pages you visit, and if you experience any errors. These cookies don’t collect any information that could identify you – all the information collected is anonymous and is only used to help us improve how our website works, understand what interests our users and measure how effective our advertising is.
We use performance cookies to:
- Provide statistics on how our website is used
- See how effective our adverts are (we don’t use this information to target adverts to you when you visit other websites)
- Provide feedback to partners that one of our visitors also visited their website. This can include details of any products bought. This lets our partners improve their website, but we don’t allow our partners to reuse this information for further advertising
- Help us improve the website by measuring any errors that occur
These cookies are set and managed by Google, as part of their Adwords and Analytics programs and by Bing, as part of their Bing Ads program.
Using our site indicates that you accept the use of performance cookies. Accepting these cookies is a condition of using the website, so if you prevent them we cannot guarantee how our site will perform for you.
- Marketing and Advertising cookies
These cookies are managed by Google and Bing. They are set when you visit certain pages of our site (e.g. the registration and contact forms) but do not submit one of these forms.
These cookies are used by Google and Bing to deliver you with reminder advertisements about our site (‘remarketing’ in Google/Bing terminology) for a limited period after your visit. The cookies are also used to limit the number of times you are shown these reminder adverts.
- You can choose to not accept these cookies: By adjusting the settings in your browser; or
- At https://adssettings.google.com
Keep in mind though, that opting out will not stop you being served ads – they keep the internet free for everyone; it just means you will be served generic ads that are not tailored to your interests.